I am working a menu out for Christmas and am after a vegan meal, but not having much luck. Is there anything you can suggest to help me?
Ah, an old-fashioned vegan Christmas banquet. Hmmm, not too surprising you're having trouble. We have been pawing through vegetarian cookbooks since you wrote, and much to our surprise found a menu suggestion for a vegan Christmas.
Simon Hope, author of Vegetarian Entertaining with Friends (Canada, UK)
suggests the following:
- Fassoulatha (Greek variation of a Middle Eastern bean soup) with Olive Bread
- Chestnut Roast (a mixture of chestnuts, peanuts, onion, mushroom, red wine, herbs, breadcrumbs and soy sauce) with Black Cherry & Red Wine Sauce
- Candied Yams (very traditional hold the butter, please)
- Sloshed Leeks & Carrots (sloshed with a little Riesling)
- Garlic Potatoes (sliced think, layered & baked)
- Hot Zucchini and Tomato Salad
- Christmas Pudding (suggests starting this in October to let the flavors develop, so time to get cracking)
- Mince Pies (dates, currents, sultanas, raisins, apples, fruit juices, spices, brown sugar & brandy)
- Vegan Ice Cream (tofu, vanilla, vegetable oil, white sugar & soy milk)
Let us know how it turns out!