Whole Wheat English Muffins
Moist and slightly sweet.
1-1/2 cups warm water
1. In a large bowl, combine the water, oil, honey, and yeast. Let sit for about 10 minutes to dissolve the yeast.
2. In a smaller bowl, mix together the salt, the gluten flour or Vital Wheat Gluten, and about 1 cup of the wheat flour. Beat 100 strokes with a wooden spoon.
3. Add enough of the remaining whole wheat flour to make a kneadable dough. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead in as much flour as necessary to make a dough that will not stick to the kneading surface. Kneading will take about 10 minutes.
4. Place the dough in an oiled bowl. Turn the dough over to oil the top. Cover the bowl with a damp cloth and place it in a warm place until the dough has doubled in bulk (about 1 hour). Punch down.
5. Cut the dough into 12 or 13 equal pieces. The easiest way to do this is to roll the dough into a long cylinder, score it with a knife, and then cut it.
6. Sprinkle your work surface generously with cornmeal. Roll each of the pieces of dough into a ball. Place the balls of dough on the cornmeal-sprinkled surface and flatten each with the palm of your hand to a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Sprinkle the top with cornmeal. Cover the patties with a clean, damp cloth and let them rise until doubled in bulk (about 1 hour).
7. Carefully slide a spatula under a patty and place it in a heavy, unoiled skillet (cast-iron works well). Repeat until there are 3 or 4 muffins in the skillet (depending on the size of the skillet). Cook over medium-low heat for 5 to 7 minutes or until the bottoms are brown. Carefully turn them over and cook for 5 to 7 minutes more. Repeat until all the patties have been cooked.
8. Let the muffins cool. To serve, split with a fork and toast.
To speed up the cooking, use two skillets at a time.
Yield: 12 or 13
Variation: Add 1 tablespoon of cinnamon to the dough with the first cup of wheat flour. Then knead 1 cup of raisins into the dough after the first rising. Follow the rest of the recipe as written.
How to Fix Underdone Cornbread, Brownies, Biscuits
Keeping Biscuits from Turning Bitter
Baking Time and Temp for Scones
How to Make Scones
Recipe for How Many Scones?
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Shirley Corriher's Southern Biscuits
Blueberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Old-Fashioned Lemon Cream Scones