We've all been there. You watch your favorite baking show and are overcome by the urge of trying out the cake yourself. Or maybe you just have a relative's birthday coming up. Either way, you put the cake together and put it in the oven. It tastes great, but what now?
With the right recipe and baking chops, cakes can be mouthwateringly good. But, if you're like most people, you just need to add that finishing touch to make sure they look as good as they taste. Enter airbrushes.
Making flowers with icing is so yesterday. If you truly want your cake to shine, you need an airbrush to make your dream cake decoration a reality.
That might sound complicated, but it doesn't have to be. In fact, plenty of brands now offer airbrushes that are just as easy to use for beginners as they are for cake experts. Looking to get started? These are our eight best airbrushes for cake decorating like a pro.
Best Overall: PointZero Cake Airbrush Decorating Kit
Professional-grade: Kit features the PZ-260, PZ-258 and PZ-276 airbrushes for cakes; a premium-quality set ideally suited for creating a variety of spray patterns, from fine detail to wider coverag...
This kit is the full package. You get 12 colors to decorate along with three individual airbrushes, providing functionality that goes from beginner all the way to professional cake decorating.
Customizing and changing your brushes is easy, and unlike some other airbrushes you will find, this entire product is optimized for cake decorating. That means everything from its size to the guides included are specifically designed to help you become a better baker and decorator.
The air pressure generated by the included compressor goes up to 40 psi, which is enough to generate even fine details. The price might be high, but this kit is the full package, making it our winner and best overall for cake decorating of all airbrushes rated.
- Professional-grade decorating kit that's still easy enough for beginners to use
- Easy to clean and keep in top shape over time
- A five-year warranty means that you don't have to worry about anything breaking
- A comprehensive set of instructions, including seven eBook guides to help you become a decorating pro
- Comparatively expensive
- Doesn't come with a carrying case
Best Midrange: Master Airbrush Master Performance G233 Pro Set
Professional Master Performance Multi-Purpose Model G233 Pro Set Master Airbrush. The Pro Set is a Model G23 precision dual-action gravity feed airbrush with 3 nozzle set sizes (0.2, 0.3 & 0.5 mm n...
What makes the G233 Pro Set especially impressive is that it isn't even specifically designed for baking. And yet, it's still among our top-rated models, its reasonable price making it our best midrange cake decorating option.
The set comes with three nozzle sets that range from 0.2 to 0.5 millimeters along with fluid tips and air caps. That allows you to get into the fine details or spread out to a 2-inch wide background. A built-in air flow control valve makes the system easy to control even for beginners.
- A variety of nozzles allow for both background and detail work
- Cutaway handles allow for easy cleaning and better color work
- Knobs on the airbrush help bakers and decorators control the fluid flow to improve saturation
- Instructions on how to use the airbrush are relatively sparse
- The storage tank for colors is relatively small, requiring frequent refills
Best Value: GotHobby 0.3mm Gravity Feed Dual-Action Airbrush
Condition: Brand new
Dual-Action Trigger Control
0.3 mm Needle/Nozzle
Gravity Feed: 7cc Fluid Cup with lid.
Multi-Purpose High Performance Airbrush.
It might not be the most comprehensive solution on the market, but you can't beat the price-quality balance of this airbrush. You only get a 0.3mm nozzle, but the 95 psi pressure makes for a powerful flow that allows for even color distribution and application.
Beyond that, you get a dual air control system to slow down the flow as needed. It's simple, but undoubtedly effective.
- High-pressure performance
- Stainless steel material makes this one of the most sturdy products on the market
- A carrying case allows for easy storage and transport
- A price that can't be beat among comparative quality airbrushes
- Only comes with a single nozzle
- Spray patterns have to be controlled by distance from the airbrush to the cake
- No cleaning tools or instructions are included
Gocheer Mini Airbrush Kit, Dual-Action Air Brush
MULTIFUNCTION AIRBRUSH SET:It's a tremendous airbrush kit for beginners and students, as well as for advanced artists. Since it works excellent for most airbrushing applications and also with most ...
We especially love the Gocheer kit for the control it provides the decorator. Its dual-action trigger can control both the airflow and the color density, which means you can change anything from the thickness of the line to the opacity of the paint easily while operating the brush.
Gocheer has come up with a design that allows for a powerful stream even at only 25 psi. That also means you can use the compressor for up to 30 minutes before giving it a break. Meanwhile, the included cleaning brushes allow you to keep your tool in shape over years.
- High degree of control that allows for anything from intricate designs to broad backgrounds
- Easy cleaning thanks to the included brushes
- An included air filter allows the air to be pushed through to be dry enough to keep the airbrush going for longer
- No instructions or beginner's guide, requiring YouTube videos to get started
- Does not come with any colors to decorate your cake
Paasche Airbrush H-Set Single Action Siphon Feed Airbrush Set
H Airbrush: The H airbrush is perfect for beginners or those requiring quick and easy spraying
Siphon Feed Airbrush: Achieve patterns of 1/16-inch to 1-1/2-inch
Single Action Airbrush: Set includes...
Made in the USA, the Paasche Airbrush set prides itself on quality. The chrome-coated design both looks and feels sleek, but also adds to the durability. Meanwhile, the different settings allow for pressure between 20 and 75 psi, customizing your airstream for better design control.
Beyond the airbrush itself, this set is comprehensive. It includes a storage bottle, three airbrushes between 0.45 and 1.05 mm, and a booklet with introductory guides for beginners. Combine it all, and you get a versatile set to get your decorating journey started.
- Sleek and durable design
- Comprehensive set with multiple nozzles, cups, and storage bottles
- Customizable air flow
- Introductory slides for beginners
- No cleaning tools included
- Designed not just for baking cakes, so tutorials are not all relevant
- Some reports of users receiving incomplete sets with only one nozzle included
U.S. Cake Supply - Complete Cake Decorating Airbrush Kit
Contains Everything You Need: Our kit contains everything you need to start creating edible masterpieces using your own personal touch! Kit includes a professional precision airbrush, air compresso...
It might be relatively expensive, but U.S. Cake Supply's cake decorating solution is definitely worth the price. You get a compressor with multiple settings, a detailed beginner's guide that even includes a chart to optimize your food coloring, and even 12 bottles of food color so you can get started right away.
The compressor might be among the most powerful we've come across. In exchange, you only get one nozzle, which limits variety a bit but also makes the kit easy to use for beginners just starting out on their airbrushing journey.
- Powerful compressor with multiple pressure settings
- Easy to use, made even easier by the included beginner's guide
- Twelve food colors included in the kit
- Only one nozzle
- Some users have complained about the compressor's high noise level
VIVOHOME 110-120V Professional Airbrushing Paint System
MULTI-PURPOSE - A high-performance airbrushing machine with 3 kinds of multipurpose fluid tips; An intelligent solution for spraying, inflating, painting and other airbrush operations
Ready to talk about power? VIVOHOME certainly is. The compressor powers up to 25 liters per minute at a surprisingly low decibel level, though that does mean it's relatively large and heavy compared to some of the other models listed here.
That's made easier, of course, through the comfortable handle, including the three fluid tips to customize your decorations. Among the types of airbrushes professionals use, this one is surprisingly beginner-friendly.
- Great power for cake decorating of all levels and cakes of all sizes
- Automatic motor shut off in case of overheating
- Perfect blend of professional functionality and ease of use
- Relatively large compressor, which can be troublesome in tight kitchens
- Cleaning kit has to be purchased separately
COSSCCI Portable Mini Air Brush Spray Gun with Compressor Kit
SINGLE-ACTION AIRBRUSH: This mini compact air compressor comes with a single-action airbrush and a mini screwdriver. The integrated structure can be used directly even without an air hose. When you...
Talk about convenience. This model has everything, including the compressor, in the handle of the airbrush and does not need a wired power connection. Instead, it comes with a battery that lasts for up to 50 minutes, and a USB cable to charge that battery anytime you need it.
Of course, that portability comes with some trade-offs. The power on this model is relatively weak, coming in at just 17.4 psi. You also only get one tip as part of the kit. But if you're looking for portability, the COSSCCI air brush gun takes the cake.
- Extreme convenience thanks to superior portability
- Easy to clean and keep in good shape
- Comparatively low power, especially on low battery
- Limited functionality with only one tip
While these are our best top-rated airbrushes for cake decorating, the ultimate choice comes down to your situation. Yes, you can spend big on the right product to help you get the best possible look. But sometimes, even the budget option gives you exactly what you need. Browse through your options, and then pick the one that best matches your needs.