Note:This dessert is decadence through and through, perfect for Valentine's Day. When you love chocolate, why not indulge with the real thing?
1. In the top of a double boiler over medium-high heat, melt the chocolate and butter together. Place the mixture into a medium mixing bowl. Wash the top of the double boiler.
2. In the double boiler over medium-high heat, whisk the eggs until warmed through. Remove the eggs from the heat, and, using an electric mixer set on high, beat for 6 minutes, or until thickened.
3. By hand, fold the thickened eggs into the chocolate, one-quarter at a time, until completely blended.
4. Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Wrap the outside of a 16-inch springform pan with two layers of foil, being sure not to pierce the foil.
5.Pour the batter into the springform pan, place it in a glass pan, and add enough water to come to 1 inch from the top of the springform pan. Bake for 15 minutes.
6. Remove the torte from the oven and cool for 1 hour at room temperature. Refrigerate 24 hours before slicing with a hot knife. Serve topped with fresh fruit.