...a sublime, Caribbean-inspired gratin.
1) Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Coat the bottom surface of a 1-1/2-quart gratin pan with 1 tablespoon of the oil and set aside.
2) Place a large, deep skillet over, medium heat. After about a minute, add the remaining olive oil and swirl to coat the pan. Add the onion and ginger and sauté for 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and half the salt and sauté for another 5 minutes.
3) Add the carrots and the remaining salt, and stir until the carrots are well coated with the onion mixture. Turn down the heat, cover the pan, and cook undisturbed for 5 minutes. Add the lemon juice and crystallized ginger, if desired. Cover again and cook for 5 minutes longer.
4) Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan, cover tightly with foil, and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the carrots are fork-tender.
5) Uncover, sprinkle with the coconut (making sure it gets into all the crevices), and return to the oven until the coconut is golden, 10 minutes or longer. Serve hot or warm.